The Best Dog Foods of ALL TIME You Should Be Feeding Your Dog
Studies show that Low-Quality dog food has a direct link to canine cancer! Fear not because we have conducted a power list of the BEST DOG FOODS OF ALL TIME.
It’s time to make sure your dog lives a healthy, happy cancer-free life! Let us get started, shall we?
Taste of the Wild Dog Food Benefits
- Family-owned company located in the USA
- Probiotic blend to help support your dog’s digestive health with award-winning nutrient-rich recipes
- No grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavor, colors, preservatives or fillers
- Locally USA sourced ingredients
- Added vitamins and antioxidants from real fruits and vegetables to support overall health. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids added to support the heart, skin, and coat.
- GRAIN-FREE recipe
- Primary protein sources are from Buffalo, Bison, Venison, and Beef to ensure your dog receives an optimal balanced nutritional diet
About Taste of the Wild
The brand is actually a part of the Diamond Pet Food Company that has been around since 1970 and is owned by the Schell and Kampeter families.
Taste of the Wild made its first debut in 2007, catering to an ever-growing market of consumers demanding dog food companies to provide them with high quality, grain-free dog foods made with natural ingredients.
Brother-in-laws Gary Schell and Richard Kampeter founded the original company nearly four decades ago at that time known as Milling Meta Company, a small livestock, and dog food company.
Fast-forward to 2019; the company has grown immensely and become a household name.
Chewy Taste of the Wild Dog Food
Where is Taste of the Wild Dog Food Made
Every morsel of dog food created by the taste of the wild has been made inside the United States.
The company runs several thousand tests each month to ensure that each bag of dog food created holds up to their extremely high standards.
Blue Buffalo Dog Food Benefits
- Made WITHOUT wheat or soy
- No by-products
- Kibble infused with minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins
- Glucosamine for healthy joints
- Calcium, Phosphorus for strong bones and teeth
- Chicken primary protein source
About Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo was created in 2002 after Bill Bishop Sr. received dreadful news that his beloved dog Blue was diagnosed with cancer.
The news hit him and his family so hard that they decided to do something about it. He and his two sons Billy and Chris to make the perfect healthy all-natural dog food on the market.
Blue is no longer with us, but his legacy lives on through Blue Buffalo, the brand of dog food that was created to help cure canine cancer!
Since 2002 Blue Life Protection Formula for dogs and cats has become the number one selling natural pet food in America.
Chewy Blue Buffalo Dog Food
Where is Blue Buffalo Dog Food Made
Wellness CORE Dog Food Benefits
- Made WITHOUT harmful ingredients such as preservatives, artificial colors, soy, corn, wheat or meat by-products
- Made WITH high quality locally sourced deboned turkey, turkey meal and chicken meal
- Added probiotics to ensure your dog has a healthy digestive system
- Kale, Spinach and broccoli infused for an optimal nutrition diet
- Omega-3 fatty acids from salmon and flax-seed oil to combat heart problems and support healthy skin and coat
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin for bone and joint support, because every dog deserves to be able to walk without pain especially when they become a senior
About Wellness CORE
Wellness pet foods made its first debut in 1997 like most companies it was extremely small made up of only a hand full of animal nutritionists, veterinarians, and food scientists.
Fast forward to the present day the company is thriving on top of the pet food industry with its Wellness brand at the forefront.
The once small company is now a part of a much larger company known as WellPet.
WellPet owns top brands such as Sojo’s, Eagle Pack, and Old Mother Hubbard.
Chewy Wellness CORE
Where is Dog Wellness CORE Food Made
Not only does the Wellness brand strive for the best dog food around, but they also strive to be the best company.
The company has been very vocal about sustainability, and they are at the forefront of going green. Not only have they made their packages SFI Certified, but they have also made their HQ and manufacturing plants greener.
If it helps the environment, they utilize it!
Solid Gold Dog Food Benefits
- 20 Nutrient-Rich Superfood like lentils, kelp, almond oil, broccoli, carrots, blueberries, cranberries, and pumpkin provides your dog with all the essential minerals they need
- Bison is the primary source of protein
- Canola oil, olive oil and salmon oil for healthy fats to aid skin and coat health
- NO wheat, soy or corn fillers “a large majority of dogs are allergic to these”
About Solid Gold Dog Food
The year was 1974 the year Solid Gold launched its first hit product known as Hund-N-Flocken Dog Food created by Sissy Harrington McGill.
Sissy believed that ALL dogs deserved a nutritious natural food, and that’s just what she gave them.
She spent the next 40 years of her life perfecting each recipe to be amazingly delicious and as equally nutritious.
Sissy still works at Solid Gold dog foods sometimes up to FIVE days a week! If that’s not commitment and passion bundled up into one love, I don’t know what is.
In 2012 Solid Gold donated over $1 million’ worth of food to animal rescues/shelters across the country.
2014 was the year Whole Dog Journal’s awarded Solid Gold Dog Foods with the Whole Foods Magazine Natural Choice Award.
Chewy Solid Gold
Where is Solid Gold Dog Food Made
Solid Gold dog food is made in the United States but imports a selected few ingredients from France, Australia, and New Zealand.
These ingredients are imported to ensure that the best of the best ingredients go in each bag of dog food.
Quail, Duck, and Rabbit from France.
Venison from Australia.
Lamb from New Zealand.
Nature’s Variety Dog Food Benefits
- Made in the USA from locally sourced ingredients
- Completely Grain-Free
- No artificial colors or preservatives
- Kibble infused with probiotics to ensure healthy digestion
- Omega 3’s for skin and heart health
- Cage-Free chicken used for the primary protein source
- Freeze-dried raw morsels
About Nature’s Variety
The company believes a raw diet is the best diet for any dog, and they wouldn’t be wrong.
They have gone above and beyond to create a raw based kibble using HPP, also known as high-pressure processing or pascalization.
HPP kills all pathogenic bacteria, so rest assured all Nature’s Variety raw dog kibble is safe.
Nature’s Variety believes that everyone should have accessibility to feed their beloved dog a raw diet and for all dogs to enjoy the experience and benefits of raw nutrition.
Chewy Nature’s Variety
Where is Nature’s Variety Dog Food Made
Lincoln, Nebraska, is where all manufacturing is done. Their HQ is located in St. Louis, Missouri.
All their dog food is made with all-natural real mean, fruits, and vegetables with zero artificial ingredients.
6. Natural Balance L.I.D Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Venison Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Natural Balance Dog Food Benefits
- Single animal protein source
- Omega-3 fatty acid from flaxseed
- Balanced nutritional diet
- No artificial flavors, colors or additives
About Natural Balance
Dick Van Patten founded Natural Balance in 1989 alongside Joey Herrick.
The company got bought by Del Monte Foods in 2013 which is one of the largest producers and marketers of pet foods in the U.S. But was recently repurchased in 2015 by The J.M Smucker Company aka “Smuckers.”
Natural Balance has been around for over 30 years and markets themselves as “Food for a Lifetime” meaning “The only food you will choose for your pet” once you try it.
Van Patten got his idea after making small talk with a veterinarian while playing tennis. The vet told him that the best quality dog food should have no filler, meaning no by-products, wheat, corn, or soy.
Chewy Natural Balance Dog Food
Where Is Natural Balance Dog Food Made
Burbank, Los Angeles
Merrick Dog Food Benefits
- Made in the USA, specifically Texas using ONLY locally-sourced ingredients from trusted farmers.
- No Poultry additives “Great for dogs with poultry sensitivities.”
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy heart, skin, and coat
- Chondroitin and glucosamine for healthy hip and joints
- Gluten and Grain FREE
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Deboned beef as the primary protein source
- REAL fruits and veggies for healthy minerals
Garth Merrick started cooking homemade meals for his beloved dog Gracie in 1988 in his Hereford, Texas family kitchen.
That was over 30 years ago. Nestle Purina PetCare now owns the company.
Times have changed, but the brand remains the same! Crafting and testing every recipe still occurs in Garth’s original kitchen!
Garth built Merrick for one reason, to ensure that Gracie would have the best quality dog food he could give her.
That quality remains, the company refuses to use any preservatives, fillers tor anything artificial.
Chewy Merrick Dog Food
Where is Merrick Dog Food Made
Hereford, Texas United States
Made with 100% human-grade pet food, no ingredients from China.
The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Benefits
- EASY prepare made in only 3 minutes
- Whole-Grains ONLY
- The primary protein source is Free-range chicken
- The ideal diet for any breed especially pregnant dogs
- No GMOs, preservatives or by-products
- Made in the USA with no outside ingredient sources
About The Honest Kitchen
Lucy Postins started cooking homemade meals in 2002 for her dog Mosi in hopes of clearing up his health issues. She discovered that dehydrating whole foods was the best way to go.
Lo and behold, her home-cooked meals took effect and cleared up Mosi’s health issues.
Word quickly spread about her success, and she started selling her dehydrated whole food dog food out of her home.
In 2003 – 2005, Lucy added grain-free options and was approved by the FDA to use the term “Human Grade” on all her products.
Lucy was named “Women of Influence” by Pet Age and was featured in Forbes twice in 2015 – 2017.
During this time, she also published her first book called Dog Obsessed.
2018 – 2019 was a year for something new, something that had never been done.
The Honest Kitchen created “Madehonest” a patented dry food for dogs that is 100% human-grade.
“Madehonest” became the first-of-its-kind pet food.
Chewy The Honest Kitchen Dog Food
Where is The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Made
The Honest Kitchen wants only the best for your dog; they have an extremely high standard of quality assurance program. Where they test for germs such as bacteria, yeast, mold, and more.
They also screen for heavy metals and work hand and hand with the FDA to ensure that all of their foods remain “Human Grade” 100% of the time.
Rachael Ray Dog Food Benefits
- USA farmed raised chicken primary protein source
- Made in the USA
- Omega fatty acids from poultry aids in skin and coat health
- Vitamins and minerals from fresh veggies
- HIGH fiber and prebiotics from beet pulp and brown rice for healthy digestion
About Rachael Ray Dog Food
It’s no secret that Rachael Ray is an animal lover, especially dogs! Pitbull’s are among her favorite breed. Which is probably why she owns one!
Rachael Ray Nutrish has been around for over 10 years now and keeps getting better as time goes one.
She believes homemade healthy foods should be a staple in her family which includes her fur children.
Her brand recently got bought by J.M Smucker “Smuckers” but rest assured the brand will remain the same with Rachael by their side.
Rachael has donated over 36 million dollars to help animals in need over the years that her dog food has been on the market.
She archives this by donating a portion of the money earned from each sale of her dog food to dogs in need.
The Rachael Ray Foundation has helped millions of dogs over the years and will continue to do so going forward with Smuckers.
Chewy Rachael Ray Dog Food
Where is Rachael Ray Dog Food Made
Meadville, Pennsylvania and Frontenac, Kansas
Hill’s Science Dog Food Benefits
- Made in the U.S.A
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- High in antioxidant and vitamin E and C
- Omega-6 fatty acids for heart and skin health
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
About Hill’s Science
It was the late 30’s a young man named Morris Frank walked into Dr. Mark Morris Sr’s veterinary clinic with his Seeing Eye Dog named Buddy.
Mr. Frank was touring the country promoting Seeing Eye Dogs. His visit was because Buddy was suffering from Kidney failure.
Dr. Morris firmly believed that Buddies’ kidney failure was directly linked to his poor nutrition.
The news was hard on Mr. Frank; he didn’t want to lose his best friend.
Something sparked a fire in Dr. Morris that day, and he became obsessed with creating a healthy dog food that would help prevent such diseases.
Together with his wife, Louise Morris, in their kitchen, they started making the first batches of Hill’s Science dog food.
After many months of trial and error, the two had created the perfect blend of healthy dog food.
Dr. Morris didn’t forget Mr. Frank or Buddy, and he mailed his new dog food to them via US postal in jars.
Dr. Morris partnered with Burton Hill of the Hill Packing Company in Topeka, Kansas in 1948.
The partnership grew into what is now known as Hill’s Pet Nutrition and has continued to thrive throughout the decades.
Today, Hill’s Pet Nutrition remains true to its founders Dr. Mark Morris and Dr. Mark Morris Sr. with the highest-quality pet nutrition available.
Chewy Hill’s Science Dog Food
Where is Hill’s Science Dog Food Made
Emporia, Kansas and Topeka, Kansas
Blue Wilderness Dog Food Benefits
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- The primary protein source is DE-boned chicken and turkey meal
- Peas and potatoes both sweet and white provide Complex carbohydrates for energy
- Carrots, cranberries, and blueberries contain antioxidants for overall health
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids for healthy heart and skin
- Calcium, phosphorus and essential vitamins for strong, healthy teeth and bones
- Glucosamine for joint support
About Blue Wilderness
Owned by Blue Buffalo
Chewy Blue Wilderness Dog Food
Where is Blue Wilderness Dog Food Made
Pedigree Dog Food Benefits
- Made in the USA
- Kibble texture/shape helps clean teeth as your dog eats
- Whole grains for high fiber to aid with digestion
- Omega-6 fatty acid for healthy heart and skin
- Antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for a complete diet
Pedigree is the product of Forrest Mars better known for the Mars candy empire. If you have ever had a Milky Way or M&M’s you have tasted the greatness that is Mars Chocolate.
In 1932, Mars acquired Chappel Brothers based in Manchester; the company was selling canned dog food branded as “Chappie.”
Mars decided to move the canned dog food operation to America in 1934.
In March 1975 “Chappie” dog food was no more it had evolved into Pedigree Petfoods Ltd.
Current day Pedigree is loved by millions of people across the globe due to their dedication to providing the masses with healthy, affordable dog food.
The brand also believes every dog deserves a loving home, to ensure this is possible they have created The Pedigree Foundation. This foundation is nonprofit and is dedicated to helping dogs find loving homes.
Chewy Pedigree Dog Food
Where is Pedigree Dog Food Made
Melton Mowbray and Bristall Leeds England
Diamond Dog Food Benefits
- Family owned and run company located in the USA
- No Corn, wheat, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fillers
- High fiber to aid in digestion
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and heart
- Fresh fruits and vegetables provide all the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for a healthy balanced diet
- Fresh beef and fish protein
About Diamond Dog Food
1970 brothers-in-law Gary Schell and Richard Kampeter
created Diamond Pet Foods. The two believed that premium pet food could be affordable for everyone.
Together they purchased their first facility in Meta, Missouri (population 220) where the first-ever Diamond Dog Food was created.
Today the brand has become a household name trusted by profession breeders, trainers, veterinarians, and beloved pet owners.
Chewy Diamond Dog Food
Where is Diamond Dog Food Made
There are five locations all located in the United States. Two facilities are located in California, one in Missouri, one in South Carolina and one in Arkansas.
Nature’s Recipe Dog Food Benefits
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- No corn, wheat, artificial colors or flavors
- Complex healthy carbs such as pumpkin and potatoes
- Salmon is the primary protein source
About Nature’s Recipe Dog Food
California native Jeffrey Bennett created his company Earth Elements in 1981. Soon after he produced his first natural pet food known as nature’s Recipe Pet Food.
It didn’t take long for Jeffrey’s pet food to take off.
In 1996 the H.J. Heinz Company came knocking and bought Earth Elements.
As of 2015, Nature’s Recipe Dog Food is now owned by The J.M Smucker Company.
Chewy Nature’s Recipe Dog Food
Where is Nature’s Recipe Dog Food Made
IAMS Dog Food Benefits
- No fillers, artificial preservatives or colors
- Prebiotics for healthy digestion
- Crunch texture to aid in natural teeth cleaning
- Infused with vitamins and minerals
About IAMS Dog Food
In 1946 Paul F. Iams created his pet food company known merely as Iams.
Paul firmly believed that he needed to innovate how dog food was being made; he wanted a product that was new and healthy.
He created IAMS 999 in the 1950s, which was the first animal-based protein pet food on the market.
His innovation didn’t stop their fast forward 11 years to the 1960s Paul once again became the first person to use beet pulp for intestinal health.
In the 1990s, he did it again by using omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in his dog food to promote healthy skin, coat, and heart function.
The 2000s were no different, and the company created a formula that helps brain development in puppy food by infusing it with DHA.
Paul F. Iams created his company to provide dogs around the world with affordable healthy dog food.
He knew he had to innovate and that’s just what he did…to this very day the company has stayed true to Paul F. Iams’s dream.
Chewy IAMS Dog Food
Where is IAMS Dog Food Made
Ohio, Nebraska, and North Carolina.
Purina Dog Food Benefits
- Cooked and Manufactured in USA
- Soy, corn, wheat, artificial color FREE
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids infused with zinc for healthy skin, heart, and coat
- Oatmeal carbohydrate source for easy digestion and maximum energy
- Fresh salmon for the primary protein source
About Purina Dog Food
Notably the oldest dog brand on the list and probably the most well-known brand which was founded back in 1894 by William H. Danforth.
William started making feed for various farm animals, even monkeys, known as “Chow.” Yes, once upon a time Purina Monkey Chow was a thing!
The most famous of all the chows are, of course, “Purina Dog Chow.”
William teamed up with Webster Edgerly, a university professor and founder of Ralstonism, who was at the time producing breakfast cereals.
Together the two created “Ralston Purina Company.”
Fast forward to the present day, Purina is now owned by Nestle as of 2001.
Chewy Purina Dog Food
Where Is Purina Dog Food Made
Nutro Dog Food Benefits
- Produced in the USA
- Non-GMO ingredients
- No by-products such as corn, wheat, or soy
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy heart and skin
- Chondroitin and Glucosamine for healthy hips and joints
- Farm-raised chicken primary protein source
In 1926 a man by the name of John Saleen purchased a dog food company off of a British businessman then changed the name of the company to Nutro Products.
Saleen then moved the entire company to California, where he started producing dog food and various dog treats.
1985 marked the year where the company teamed up with Dr. Sharon Machilk to help formulate their Max line of dog foods.
Mars, Incorporated bought Nutro in 2007 and moved the HQ to Tennessee.
Chewy Nutro Dog Food
Where Is Nutro Dog Food Made
- Lebanon, Tennessee
- Victorville, California
- Columbus, Ohio
- Fort Smith, Arkansas
Royal Canin Dog Food Benefits
- Sooths GI tract issues with omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA
- Antioxidants for immune system health
- Prebiotics for healthy guy bacteria for digestion
- For dogs that have problems digesting their food
- Helps resolve vomiting and diarrhea
About Royal Canin Dog Food
A French man by the name of Jean Cathary introduces the world to Royal Canin in 1968.
Jean Started his career working with horses and bulls as a veterinarian, soon after he started to realize that many health problems he was seeing were related to poor nutrition.
By 1974 Jean was selling Royal Canin products in eight countries across Europe, France, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and the Netherlands.
1980 was the Launch of their very first complete food designed for Large Breed Puppies. The food became praised by breeders around the world for over 15 years.
Royal Canin came to the USA in 1985.
In 2002 Royal Canin was bought by Mars Incorporated.
An extraordinary breakthrough was made in 2012; the first dog food designed for dogs with allergic reactions was created.
It took them 10 long years of research and trial and error to get it perfect.
Royal Canin has remained driven to its mission to create a better world for pets to this very day.
Chewy Royal Canin Dog Food
Where is Royal Canin Dog Food Made
They have 12 facilities all over the world
Canidae Dog Food Benefits
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Veterinarian- Formulated
- Corn and soy-free
- Probiotics, antioxidants, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy gut, heart, and skin
- Chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish primary protein source
The company was found in 1997 by John Gordan and Scott Whipple and remains family-owned today.
Diamond Pet Foods manufactures its dry kibbles.
They have recently bought a state-of-the-art facility where they can continue research and development of new pet food formulas.
Ethos Pet Nutrition is the new name of their new facility located in Brownwood, Texas.
The new facility enables them to test all of their foods on-site before it ever leaves the grounds.
Chewy Canidae Dog Food
Where is Canidae Dog Food Made
20. Orijen 6 Fish Grain-Free Formula Dry Dog Food
Orijen Dog Food Benefits
- Botanicals selected by veterinarians to optimize metabolism, strengthen organs, and cleanse the body of toxins.
- Infused with Omega-3 Fatty Acids, essential nutrients that help prevent and manage heart disease.
- A biologically appropriate diet with Whole Prey ratios of organs, cartilage, and poultry.
- Loaded with protein
- Made from New England Mackerel, Herring, and Flounder. ALL sourced fish caught wild from the cold New England Atlantic waters.
Chewy Orijen Dog Food
Orijen Dog Foods is known throughout the world and for a good reason. The brand owned by Champion Petfoods is the world’s most award-winning pet foods company.
Great accomplishment, I know!
Orijen is able to win year after year because they put in the time and effort to make their dog food the best on the market.
They pride themselves on using regional ingredients to create the PERFECT biologically appropriate dog foods that mirror the quantity, freshness, and variety of meats that dogs are meant to eat in the wild.
The name “Orijen” is derived from the Latin word “Origin” a play on words if you will and fully intended.
Champion dog foods wanted a name that really meant something, something that explained what they were all about.
That name became “Orijen Dog Foods.”
This food was created to allow dogs to eat like their ancestors once did or as close as possible.
ORIJEN Dog Food is filled with unmatched inclusions of fresh meats between 80-90% to be exact.
Where is ORIJEN Dog Food Made
Well, it’s located right smack in the heart of Kentucky’s agriculture community. Being a Kentucky native, I know firsthand how well farmers take care of their livestock and crops.
Fear not, ORIJEN is 100% American made and meets or exceeds ALL of Americans’ standards for pet foods.
If you are looking for USA locally-sourced dog food that you can trust, then give ORIJEN Dog Food a try. They have over a decade of experience and the rewards to back.
I guarantee your dog will love them and beg for more.
Raise your dog the right way with the best possible dog food that you can afford, especially if you want a happy, healthy long-living doggo!